Friday, February 21, 2014

Examples of Poems (Written by Elizabeth Wang)

Limerick
There was once a girl named Hannah,
She really liked to eat bananas.
Once she found some near a savanna,
Then she put on a hat and threw a samba,
until finding out they were all eaten by iguanas.

Free Verse Poem
The sunshine projects light rays,
gradually disappearing the greys.
It sits as high as a tower,
a highlighted sphere in hover.
Allow me to feel a prosperous shower of light.

O' Helios, the God of light,
attract the daylight as you might!
Defeat the darkness out of sight,
for sunlight is the savior of the night.
Let its power thrive!

Sunlight, O beautiful sun,
you nourish the living.
We are so grateful of your existence.
You lived for so long,
and accompanies me until dawn.
You are man's best friend.

The sunshine is the start of day,
the everlasting rays,
that shows fearlessness.
The bold light, warm to touch,
is one of God's first creations.

On the darkest days,
when rain and clouds hide your presence,
my happiness will drain until your next visit.
A faint memory of you will drown my nightmares,
like how love rids of hate.

The sun is so powerful,
you are the greatest provider,
you feed us,
watch as we embrace your warmth,
and you enjoy it.

You are the center of your followers,
Mercury, Venus, Mars,
and so on.
Despite the coming of cold spirits,
you never failed to protect.

Your existence is like love so deep,
love like never seen.
You are the creator of green life,
the saviors of the frozen hearts,
and the center of all surroundings.

Ballad (From "Frozen")

Once upon a time, we were so  close.
Although we're sisters,
I expressed most love to you.
You would've been greater than a prince I'd find one day.
When we were young, you enjoyed my presence.

You were the candy to my teeth,
I would always hold on tight of you,
and never let you go.
You were the best sister I could ever imagine,
despite that I am three years young.

Suddenly, you stopped talking to me,
I wondered why you changed so suddenly.
Why do you shut me outside your door,
I was oblivious of what happened before,
but forgive me, dear one!

Growing up separately,
I felt unfamiliar with you.
Until one day, I received great news,
you would be crowned the queen!
And I will be set free from the deserted castle!

Finally the gates will open,
and outside is happiness.
Happiness is love, joy and light!
Alas, I will see you and the stunning smiles of strangers,
Oh, how much fun will it be!

Then all at once,
the party stops, the music freezes.
The queen strikes me with ice,
only after a small argument.
Regret and tension filled my body.

Mysteriously, she rushes outside the building,
out the hall, and to the far,
bringing a frostbiting coldness to her vibe.
Only then did I notice she wasn't ordinary,
reveal to me who you are!

Haiku

What's a basketball?
You throw it over a hoop,
six players each team.

Ode to my parents

Dear mom and dad,
I have something to say,
Leading me through the good and bad,
never leading me astray.
I am grateful to have you in my life.

Your love to me is deep,
bigger than love I'd dream.
Following the steep,
you were like the light that beamed.

Oh, how much more can I love you,
for raising me to who I am now.
Watching as I grew,
you said "I will never leave you".

You are the reason why I'm strong,
why paths aren't wrong.
Through only words,
I couldn't yet express such love.

You are as protective as a shield,
soldier to the weak,
to me did seem,
I do not deserve such love.
So may this poem show my thanks!

Stream of Consciousness Writing

Elizabeth is writing a poem,
currently out of ideas.
Not wanting to start, but wanting to end.
Messages in my brain just couldn't send.
Tried to rhyme, but ran out of time.

Poetry is not my thing,
everything I hear about it is start to cringe.
I can attempt a free verse,
only to end up writing an essay.
Oh, I do have a habit in failing.

Five minutes pass, ten minutes, an hour or two,
no ideas or a clue.
Sitting in my chair with a blank paper in front,
all I can do is give up and grunt.
Yes,yes, I failed poetry.

Elegy

Oh beloved one, beloved one,
we mourn for your passing.
We lament and lament,
for the unsuccessful loss of our best love.

Taunted by death,
we fear hell's breath.
Flooded with distress,
we wept.

As I dwelled by your grave,
I cried, "Oh God, the one of all creation.
Will your angles guard the deceased heart?"
Our eyes, flooding like a waterfall,
only saw a past that could never be obtained.

Oh death,
you are the one that consumes life,
the one that makes living trees wilt.
Oh, how much we despise you,
you signal the coming of troubles and accidents,
yet we cannot avoid you.

In heaven,
home of light,
we enjoy a bright presence,
adorned with angels.
You fight away death with might.

Heaven of the highest,
will you consume death,
and protect her afterlife.
Save her with grace,
and don't let devils chase.

Forget the past, live the future,
may God bless the one who left,
we can only hope she gets the best.
As for now, we plead,
rest in peace.




No comments:

Post a Comment